We’re always on the lookout for really cool stuff and Splice, a music platform for creation, collaboration and sharing definitely fits that bill. Splice launched a private beta release about ten months ago, and although it wasn’t that hard to get an invite, we’re happy to see they’ve finally launched their public beta.
The concept is simple: Splice integrates with Ableton Live, FL Studio and Logic Pro X to provide a cloud-based production platform for users to collaborate on. Where usually two producers working from separate locations on one track are forced to check and double check to make sure that each is working on the most current version of a project, Splice allows seamless collaboration by uploading every change made no matter what location it was made from, to its cloud database. So rather than have to re-render and resend any last minute changes and hope that your collaborator is checking their email, any changes made to a project are instantaneously available to each party.
If you’re wondering how viable Splice is, consider that the company just raised $4.5 million in Series A funding throught venture capital firm True Ventures. Among the participants are Richie Hawtin, Tiësto, Steve Angello of Swedish House Mafia, Scooter Braun (the twerp Bieber’s manager), talent agencies WME and AM Only.
As a sort of a teaser as to what you can expect from Splice, they’ve also partnered with Henry Fong and J-Trick to debut their DNA Player with their new track “Scream.” It is a very spiffy little interface that allows users to see the DNA of a track, essentially giving you a bird’s eye view of every instrument, note, effect and tweak of a track’s production, along with comments and notes from the producers. Each channel of the track can be highlighted and/or muted giving viewers the ability to focus in on particular elements. Give the DNA Player a whirl below.
You can check it out and sign up for the public beta on the Splice website. Although the public beta is free, you can expect a subscription fee sometime in the future.
Latest posts by Keith Ancker (see all)
- Wizdom Music’s Jordantron Synth Is Packed With Features - September 22, 2014
- Remix Steve Aoki, Win Loot! - September 22, 2014
- Native Instruments Teases the Traktor Kontrol S8, DJs Everywhere Start Drooling - September 22, 2014
- DJOYbeat World Premiere: Tritonal & Paris Blohm feat. Sterling Fox – “Colors (Estiva vs. Juventa Remix)” - September 22, 2014
- Numark Unveils Three Additions to their HF Series Headphones Line - September 19, 2014
- Splice Production Platform Beta Goes Live with DNA Player - September 19, 2014
- Mitosynth for iOS Updates Loads of New Features - September 19, 2014
- U2 and Apple Move Past Free Album Debacle, Planning New Audio Format Together - September 18, 2014
- Audiofile Releases Loop Editor 2 for Mac - September 18, 2014
- Philips Announces Lightning Cable Compatible Fidelio M2L Headphones - September 18, 2014