The list of iOS apps aimed at producers and musicians is getting truly impressive. There are apps for just about everything from basic synths and recording, to full on production DAWs and audio mastering apps. What makes the latest app from Wizdom Music stand out, isn’t what it is per se – it’s their newest synth/MIDI control platform the Jordantron – it’s also about who’s behind the sounds that are coming out of it.
Based on the musical musings of Dream Theater keyboardist Jordan Rudess, the Jordantron is a pretty cool synth built around a massive collection of patches and samples from one of music’s more respected keyboard savants.
The Jordantron actually encompasses two different keyboards, one controlling a blendable “ABCtron” and another controlling the “Dtron.” The Dtron keyboard occupies the space dedicated to chord pads, but given what the video below is showing us, we doubt the chord pads will be missed too much.
The Jordantron also allows for VOICEBANKs to be loaded using MIDI Program Change, so the iPad screen never needs to be touched during performance.
According to the Wizdom website, Jordantron will turn your iPad into the “most epic sounding instrument ever.”
- 57 sampled stereo instruments, 940MB of samples
- 4 octave samples per voice, 6 playable octaves
- voices categorized by ‘velocity sensitive’, ‘leads’, ‘orchestral / choral’, ‘pads’ and ‘strings’
- velocity sensitivity on selected voices
- decay tails on selected voices
- octave shift keys to extend range of on-screen keyboard
- ‘half-speed’ tape mode
- 12 programmable chord pads
- warm, lush stereo reverb
- 32 ‘VOICEBANKs’ holding voice, reverb and ABC blend settings for instant retrieval
- giant ‘Jordan-style’ whole octave divebombs (configurable as whole tone or whole octave downshift)
- support for multiple simultaneous instruments via MIDI
- ‘oscillotron’ waveform display
Jordantron is available in the App Store for $9.99.
You can check out the full rundown on Wizdom’s Jordantron product page, and check out the pretty thorough introduction video below.
Latest posts by Keith Ancker (see all)
- Wizdom Music’s Jordantron Synth Is Packed With Features - September 22, 2014
- Remix Steve Aoki, Win Loot! - September 22, 2014
- Native Instruments Teases the Traktor Kontrol S8, DJs Everywhere Start Drooling - September 22, 2014
- DJOYbeat World Premiere: Tritonal & Paris Blohm feat. Sterling Fox – “Colors (Estiva vs. Juventa Remix)” - September 22, 2014
- Numark Unveils Three Additions to their HF Series Headphones Line - September 19, 2014
- Splice Production Platform Beta Goes Live with DNA Player - September 19, 2014
- Mitosynth for iOS Updates Loads of New Features - September 19, 2014
- U2 and Apple Move Past Free Album Debacle, Planning New Audio Format Together - September 18, 2014
- Audiofile Releases Loop Editor 2 for Mac - September 18, 2014
- Philips Announces Lightning Cable Compatible Fidelio M2L Headphones - September 18, 2014